In this article we will learn about the types of circuit breakers and their working. and also read how the arc quench in between two contact.
For know the type of circuit breaker we need know about the working of circuit breaker and their principle.
Types of Circuit Breakers
Now we are going to know about the types of circuit breakers.
The circuit breaker are automatic switches which can interrupt fault current or over current. In some application like single phase traction system single pole circuit breaker are used. The part of the circuit breaker connected in one phase is called the pole. A circuit breaker suitable for three phase system is called a triple pole circuit breaker. So we can say simply that it is a switching device which switching operation decides on the basis of fault.
The fault clearing processes and arc extinguished
During the normal operating condition the circuit breaker can be opened or closed by a station operator for the purpose of switching and maintenance of circuit breaker. During the abnormal or faulty condition the rely scenes
the fault and close the circuit of the circuit breaker. There after the circuit breaker opens. The circuit breaker has two working positions, open and closed these correspond the open circuit breaker contacts and closed circuit breaker contacts respectively .the automatic closing and opening the circuit breaker is achieved by used of operating mechanism of circuit breaker. When the rely contacts closed, the trip circuit is closed and the operating mechanism of the circuit breaker starts the opening operation. The contacts of the circuit breaker open and an arc is drawn between them. The arc is extenuated at some natural current zero of AC wave. The processes of current interruption are completed when the arc is extinguished and the current reaches final zero value. The fault when the arc is extinguished and the current reaches final zero value. The process of fault-clearing has the following sequence. These are some Types of circuit breakers.
Arc Quenching processes
• Fault occurs. As the fault occurs the fault impedance being low, the currents increase and the rely gets actuated. The moving part of the rely move because of the increase in the operating torque. The rely take some time to close its contacts.
• Rely contacts close, the trip circuit of the circuit breaker closes and trip coil is energized.
• The operating mechanism starts operating operations. The circuit breaker contacts separate.
• Arc is drawn between the breaker contacts. The arc is extinguished in the circuit-breaker by suitable techniques. The current reaches final zero as arc is extinguished.
Types of circuit breakers
The types of circuit breaker is based on arc quenching medium.
The AC circuit breaker can also classify on the basis of rated voltages. Circuit-breaker below rated voltage of 1000V is called low voltage circuit-breakers and above 1000V are called high voltage AC circuit breakers.
The type of the circuit-breaker is usually identified according to the medium of arc extinction. The classification of the circuit breaker based on the medium of arc extinction is as follows.
1. Air breaks circuit breaker/ miniature circuit-breaker.
2. Oil circuit-breaker ( tank type of bulk oil)
3. Minimum oil circuit-breaker
4. Air blast circuit-breaker
5. Sulphur hexa fluoride circuit breaker.( single pressure or double presser ).
Hence these types circuit breakers employ various techniques to extinguish the arc resulting from separation of the current carrying contacts. the mode of arc extinction is either high resistence interruption of zero point interruption.
These are types of circuit breakers . From above article we have studied about the arc quenching method. If you will find any incorrect in above article you must comment below in comment box.