In this article we will know about the difference between moving coil and moving Iron Instrument. we will also studied about the working principle of repulsion type moving iron instrument. we will also discuss about the characteristic of moving iron and moving coil instrument.
Difference between Moving Coil and Moving Iron Instrument.
||Moving Iron Instrument|
|2. It is used on DC supply only.||It can be used both on AC and DC.|
|3. Its scale is uniform.||Its scale is not uniform|
|4. It is costly||It is cheap.|
|5. It is not simple in construction.||It is simple in construction.|
|6. Eddy current damping is used.||Air damping is used.|
|7. Its coil is always made of thin wire with a few turns.||Its coil is made according to value of current or voltage.|
|8. Defecting force is produced due to moving coil.
9. Permanent magnet is used.
10. It is more sensitive.
11. It consume less power
12. It is more accurate.
13. Controlling torque is produced by spring control.
|Deflecting force is produced due to moving iron piece
Electromagnet is used.
It is less sensitive.
It consumes accurate
Controlling torque is produced either by spring control or by gravity control.
Characteristics of Moving Iron Instruments.
The Moving Iron instrument offers the following merits.
It is also provide help in difference between moving coil and moving iron instrument,
- It is cheaper.
- It can be used on AC and DC supply.
- It has more deflecting torque.
- It is simple in construction as comparison to the moving coil instrument.
- Torque/weight ratio is high, thus, less frictional error.
Moving iron instrument offers the following demerits.
- Its scale is not uniform.
- Stray losses affect its reading.
- It consumes more power.
- Due to the effect of hysteresis, it cannot co calibrated with a high degree of precision for DC. these are some difference between moving iron and moving coil instrument.
Errors in Moving Iron Instruments.
The following are the source of errors that may be occurred in moving iron instruments. it is also difference between moving coil and moving iron instrument.
- The hysteresis is occurred when used in AC and DC.
- Stray fields are occurred when used in AC and DC.
- Errors are occurred due to the waveform effect when used in AC. It is difference between moving coil and moving Iron instrument.
In the proceeding section, we have studied the instruments which can be measure the current and voltage up to a certain limit. Now, we will discuss how we can achieve the desired range of measurement which will be higher than instrument’s limit.
Hence these are difference between moving coil and moving Iron instrument. we have also studied about characteristic , working of moving iron and moving coil instrument. If you will find any incorrect in above article you must comment below in comment box.