In this article we will learn about the working of thermal power plant . we will also know about the boiler and crusher working and also about the merit and demerit of thermal power plant.
Working of Thermal Power Plant
Thermal power plant is a power station where heat energy is converted into electrical energy. In thermal power plant steam is forced on turbine and turbine start rotation which drives electric generator and power is generated. This is a mainly process in generation of electricity in thermal power plant.
Introduction of Thermal Power Plant
In thermal power plant heat energy is get from combustion of fuel i.e. coal. Generated heat from combustion of coal (fuel) is used to produce steam from water. This generated Steam has high temperature and pressure. This high pressure steam is forced on turbine. By pressure of steam turbine starts rotate. With Shaft of turbine a generator is coupled, as generator coupled with turbine generator also starts rotation and production of electricity get starts. Mostly coal is use for combustion to produce to heat but diesel is also used.
Working of Crusher . In crusher big size of coal is broken into required small pieces.
This small size of coal is feed into boilers. In boiler section fuel is burnt and produces high temperature heat. On other hand treated water ( free from impurities) is come in boiler section and air is also comes to boiler chamber. With help of air fuel start burning easily. Generated heat transferred to water and steam is produced.
Fuel storage and handling plant: fuel storage is very important part in thermal power plant. Fuel storage plant is essential to run power plant smoothly in normal day as well as when fuel supply facilities not available. Boiler is mainly qualified into two types.
- A) fire tube boiler . B) water tube boiler
- Fire tube boiler. In fire-tube boilers, combustion gases pass through the inside of the tubes with water surrounding the outside of the tubes. The advantages of a fire-tube boiler are its simple construction and less rigid water treatment requirements.
- Water tube boiler . In a water-tube boiler the water is inside the tubes and combustion gases pass around the outside of the tubes. The advantages of a water-tube boiler are a lower unit weight-per-pound of steam generated, less time required to raise steam pressure, a greater flexibility for responding to load changes, and a greater ability to operate at high rates of steam generation.
Water treatment plant: in thermal power plant large amount of water is used. This water is comes from river or other water sources. In these sources water is contaminated so there is need to remove all impurities. Because if this contaminated water is use then turbine and boiler may get less efficiency or less age.
Turbine Working . A turbine is a mechanical device which converts the kinetic and pressure energy of steam into useful work. From the superheated steam goes to the turbine where it expands and loses its kinetic and pressure energy and rotates the turbine blade which in turn rotates the turbine shaft connected to its blades. The shaft then rotates the generator which converts this kinetic energy into electrical energy.
Steam turbine is mainly classified into two types 1) impulse turbine and 2) reaction turbine
Merits and demerits of thermal power plant
Merits of thermal power plant:
- Thermal power plant has less initial cost as compared to hydro power plant.
- It requires less space as compared to hydro power plant.
- It has less fuel cost as compared to other power plants.
- Thermal power plant has great efficiency.
- A huge amount of power is generating by thermal power plant.
- It has less cost of power generation.
Demerits of thermal power plant:
- The running cost of thermal power plant is more than hydro power plant.
- By thermal power plant pollution is generated more as compared to other power plant.
- Maintenance cost is more in thermal power plant.
- Transportation of fuel is required more in thermal power plant so it has Extra expenses.
Hence these are working of thermal power plant . if you will find any incorrect in above article you must comment below in comment box.