In this article we will learn about the advantage of three phase system. We will also know about the advantage and disadvantage of three phase system.
Advantage of Three Phase System
The advantages of three phase system over a single phase system are as follows
1. The amount of conductor material needed to transfer same amount of power is lesser for three systems.
2. Domestic power and industrial/commercial power can be provided from the same power.
3. Voltage regulation of three phase system is better.
4. As three phase induction motors are self-starting while single phase motors are self-starting while single phase motors are not, three phase system is certainly advantageous and versatile.
5. The torque produced by three phase motors is more.
6. For given size of frame, three phase generator provides more input.
In star connection
1. The line voltage is 120 degree apart from each other (phase voltage is also 120 degree apart from each other).
2. The line voltage is also 30 degree ahead of their respective phase voltages.
3. The angle between the line currents and corresponding line voltage is (30 dgree + a) with current lagging by an angle a (for lagging loads).
4. Line voltage magnitude is root three times the phase voltage magnitude.
5. The current in line and phase are same.
In delta connection
1. The line current is 120 degree apart from each other as well as phase currents.
2. Line currents are 30 degree behind the respective phase currents.
3. The angle between the line current and corresponding line voltage is (30 degree +a) with the current lagging by an angle a.
4. Line voltage and phase voltage being same, the line current is root three times the phase current.
Hence it is the advantage of three phase system if you will find any incorrect above please comment below in comment box.
If you want to know more about the advantage of three phase system you must watch this video.